Communities Together has been collecting diapers, pull-ups and underwear for children in Lawrence since 1998. The organization divides the annual collection between local social agencies that can distribute the items to families in need.
Once again, the First-Calvary Baptist Church Missions Board will sponsor Communities Together Undie Sundays during Lent.
Please drop off your donations in the First-Calvary narthex (inside the front door) on Sundays from February 26th through Easter Sunday, April 9th.
Items needed are:
- Boys and Girls “pull-ups”
- Children’s Underwear (new and unused) for young children
Why are diapers so important?
- Many families make significant sacrifices just to afford diapers for their babies.
- Diaper need remains a common and hidden problem of poverty, made worse by job losses and social isolation.
- Families spend $75 a month to diaper one child, or 8% of a full-time minimum wage salary.
- A newborn will use about 360 diapers a month for a price of roughly $93.
- Though diapers are essential for babies, they are not systematically covered by safety-net policies. Neither WIC nor food stamps cover diapers.
Just one pair or package will make a difference to a child that goes without.
Learn more at Communities Together